2.01.2011

TODAY IN BLACK HISTORY - Feb. 1

"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly."

I thought that I would try to share a Black history fact or remembrance for every day this month. What better way to start than with one of my all time favorite authors, Langston Hughes. He was born in Joplin, MO on February 1, 1902. In his lifetime he produced 11 novel/short story collections, 6 non-fiction books, 12 major plays, 7 children's books and thousands of poems. His poem, "My People" is the first poem I ever memorized as a small child and is one I still recite to this day. To learn more about Langston Hughes, I recommend reading one of his authobiographies, like The Big Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...